The University of Applied Arts Vienna is home to about 2.000 students, many of whom come from other countries, both within Europe and abroad. The broad spectrum of artistic disciplines, complemented by a large number of scientific subjects, certainly enriches the special atmosphere that prevails at the »Angewandte«.
The concept of the University is to be a place for critical reflection upon one’s personal thought and action, a place where questions are more important than patent solutions - this idea flourishes at the Angewandte. Studies are not limited to the mere conveyance of artistic techniques and skills. Rather, the development of individual artistic creativity and critical reflection upon one’s work on the basis of theories and concepts are our foremost priorities. Students learn and experience art not just as an end in itself, but fundamentally as a departure point and medium for communication, where the analysis of the significance and effects art has in society play an important role. Encouraging the development of creative visions and facilitating artistic experiments, in tandem with a commitment to technical excellence and conceptual brilliance, are the basic elements of the quality standard the Angewandte sets for both teachers and students alike.
The Angewandte considers itself as a place for free artistic and academic expression, as a forum for open debate, and as a laboratory for artistic visions, which unfold their potentials in the society of the future. Our goal to remain one of the best art schools in the world is inextricably linked to the consistent effort invested into continually increasing our quality standards, the ongoing renewal of creative potential, and our uncompromising advocacy of artistic and academic freedom.
*) Rector’s Statement
- The Angewandte has at its disposal a densely woven and structurally well-established network of internationally renowned institutions and experts, providing numerous possibilities for cooperation to national and international partners and interested parties.
- Outstanding international artists and scholars in all branches of the Angewandte provide essential impulses in the development of their individual disciplines, and beyond the bounds of their disciplines as well - be it in their artwork, in their publications, in exhibition organization, on the art market, in the creative industries or through their media presence.
- Projects and events of the highest quality are developed in all of the Angewandte’s art and research disciplines. The Angewandte occupies a leading position in Austrian art and culture.
- In the field of artistic research, the Angewandte plays a key role in Austria, and it also has achieved great recognition internationally. The recurrent success of applications made from the University to the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) program for arts-based research (PEEK) gives strong evidence for its high level of achievement.
To improve artists, art-teachers, designers architects, restorators on a high international level.
faculties and departments
- Fine Arts and Media Art
- Conservation and Restoration
- Arts and Society
- Art and Technology
- Art Sciences and Art Education
- Language Arts
bachelor level programs
- Fine Arts (Graphics, Site Specific Art, Painting, Painting and Animated Film, Photography, Sculpture and Space-related Art)
- Stage Design
- Design (Applied Photography and Time-based Media, Fashion Design, Graphic Design, Graphic and Advertising)
- Industrial Design
- Conservation and Restoration
- Media Arts (Digital Arts, Transmedia Arts)
- Creative Writing (only German)
- Teacher Training (Art Education)
- TransArts (BA)
master level programs
- Art & Science
- Teacher Training (Art Education) –not on yet!
- TransArts (MA)
- Social Design
Our title “Magister” is equivalent to the “Master”; after their diploma our students get the title Mag.art., Mag.arch. or Mag.des.ind.
research activity and main areas
As a leading center of excellence in art and research, the Angewandte is recognized nationally and internationally.
- By interdisciplinary combining its own in-house expertise with relevant research partners, the Angewandte contributes in diverse project constellations toward fulfilling innovative and sociopolitical goals.
- Graduates, participants in the creative industries (e.g. newly founded or innovation-oriented small and medium-sized businesses), cooperation partners and other interested parties make use of knowledge, supporting expertise and services offered by the Angewandte (e.g. in acquiring funding from EU grants).
- Thus the Angewandte fulfills a bridge function between national and international protagonists, whereby this function simultaneously ensures its sustained anchoring in relevant fields of practice.
*) Mission Statement
doctorate level programs
Doctorate studies consist of one study segment (six semesters). They demand the completion of a thesis, which is adjudged by two assessors, and conclude with the positive assessment of a doctoral viva.
- Natural Sciences
- Technical Sciences
Postgraduate Programmes (course fees)
- Art & Economy
- ecm - educating/curating/managing
- Urban Strategies
Titles: Dr.phil., Dr.rer.nat., Dr.techn
For more information see also: Doctoral programmes
subject areas for exchange students
All offered subjects are open for exchange students (but every single decision has to be made by the responsible professor)
· Study (fields) information: www.dieangewandte.at/studienangebot_en
· Angewandte Imagevideo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPe8q8EEIGA
15 October: for the fall semester/whole year
Mostly German (for Graphic Design and Graphics/Advertising at least a basic knowledge is strictly required!); some lectures (Architecture/Design) are taught in English.
Winter semester: October – January;
Spring break: all February
Summer semester: March – June;
Summer break: July – September
cost of living per month (studying and living)
700 – 800 EUR (Non-ERASMUS-Student fee NOT included!)