OPEN WEEK – Gothenburg Design Festival powered by HDK
20 – 26 November 2017
With over seventy exhibitions, events, classes, workshops and talks and backed by cultural institutions, partners, students, alumni and staff as well as local and international practitioners, Open Week encourages learning to see, to think, to make and to reflect.
The programme of the first edition of the Gothenburg Design Festival is now online at gothenburgdesignfestival.se
Open Week consists of eight platforms located at venues and institutions across the city and surrounding areas, reflecting upon different aspects of ”Open”:
• OW JOURNAL – A publishing platform and virtual exhibition space.
• SPÄTI – An after-hours venue where diverse topics, discourse and people come together.
• OW BAMA – An exhibition displaying an ecology of knowledge presented through multiple stages.
• OW YOUTH – A curated programme across the festival where you are never too old to play.
• OW DISPLAYS – A cluster of exhibitions on curating education, learning and practice.
• NIGHT SCHOOL HDK – A free public school turning the university inside out.
• OPEN STUDIO – A network of design studios reveal the inner workings of contemporary practice.
• OPEN HOUSE – A day that answers questions you might have about HDK and our sister department Valand Academy.
Onkar Kular, Professor in Design Interventions at HDK & Curatorial Lead of Open week:
– The Gothenburg Design Festival is a wonderful opportunity to bring to the surface some of the important issues being addressed within the many creative and academic communities of Gothenburg. Through its multiple platforms Open Week outlines a proposition for a design festival that can simultaneously organise, support, befriend, converse and practice within local, national and international forums.
FESTIVAL SITES AND PARTNERS INCLUDE:
Röhsska Museum, Gothenburg City Library, Regional State Archives in Gothenburg, cultural center Blå Stället, Sjumilaskolan in Biskopsgården, Göteborg & Co, Svensk Form (the Swedish Society of Crafts and Design), ADA, Art Inside Out, University main building & Humanities Library (University of Gothenburg), Viktors Kaffe, Chalmers University of Technology, Museum of Gothenburg, Sahlgrenska Hospital, Iaspis – Swedish Art Grants Committee + others