Vacancy: Directors of Master Programs
College of Design and Innovation, Tongji University, China
Apply by September 10/ October 31, 2017
The open call of the Directors of Master Programs at the College of Design and Innovation, Tongji University is a part of the College’s vision to create a school of design of outstanding international reach and reputation.
The Program Directors of the College of Design and Innovation, Tongji University will be responsible for the academic leadership and management of the Programs.
1.Location : College of Design and Innovation, Tongji University, Shanghai,China
2.Program Directors of following programs:
（1）Advanced Industrial Design (MEng.)
（2）Advanced Environmental Design (MFA)
（3）Advanced Media and Communication Design (MEng.)
（4）Interaction Design (MEng.)
（5）AI and Data Design (MDes)
（6）Product Service System Design (MFA)
（7）Design Strategy and Management (MDes)
（8）Innovation and Entrepreneurship (MEng.)
（9）Design History and Theory (MDes)
3.Job type :Full time
4.Job term : 3 Years
5.For more information, please contact Ms.Zita YU, email@example.com or Dean Prof.LOU Yongqi, firstname.lastname@example.org
CONDITIONS FOR THE POSITION
1. Observe relevant laws and regulations of the People’s Republic of China.
2. Highly identify with the University and College’s mission and vision.
3. Hold a relevant postgraduate qualification in related Program disciplines.
4. Has been appointed as a full-time full Professor or an Associate Professor in a world-class institution.
5. Master in-depth knowledge of relevant professional practices and design research.
6. Have a demonstrable knowledge of academic provision, trends and issues in Design Higher Education and an understanding of the global economic, social, political and cultural forces currently transforming the design sector.
7. Have a track record of being innovative in your field and be effective at managing activities and projects to achieve long-term objectives.
8. Be an active researcher/practitioner with a network of relevant industry and academic contacts.
9. Be an experienced leader, inspiring educator and collaborative team player.
1. Responsible to the Dean for the academic leadership and management of the Program courses. This will include subject leadership of the relevant academic disciplines, the maintenance and enhancement of standards, responsibility for the design, development and delivery of the Program curriculum and its relationship to design research.
2. Day to day management of the Program including all areas of learning, teaching and assessment of students as well as resource management; and the observation and implementation of the policies and procedures of the University and the College.
3. In addition to promoting the work of the Program both nationally and internationally, the Director of the Program will communicate and represent the interests of the Program within College as a whole, and facilitate the possibilities for collaboration and further links with other schools and college of Tongji University.
4. Be responsible, in consultation with the Dean, for the recruitment of staff in the Program; to manage and appraise their performance annually enabling staff to become more effective in their roles through personal and professional development. Support and, where appropriate, direct staff in the planning, conduct, delivery and public dissemination of high quality research.
1. Application deadline:
Program directors of programs 1-5 Apply by September 10, 2017
Program directors of programs 6-9 Apply by October 31,2017
2. Shortlist informed: within 2 weeks after the deadline
3. Interview: within one month after the deadline
4. Job starting date: within 2 months after the deadline
1. Curriculum vitae
2. Motivation letter
3. Representative writings
Ms.Zita YU, email@example.com
About the COLLEGE OF DESIGN AND INNOVATION, TONGJI UNIVERSITY
Design education at Shanghai’s Tongji University began in the 1940s. For 70 years, the core design discipline at Tongji was linked to architectural studies, mainly in the Bauhaus tradition. In 1993, the department of industrial design was established. In 2009, the University moved its design department out of the architecture school, and established a new school—the College of Design and Innovation, Tongji University (D&I).
MISSION AND VISION
The world’s digital, knowledge-based economies call for novel design skills and methods, networked approaches, and sustainable results. In addition to traditional artifacts, designers must create integrated services, processes, interactions, and mechanisms that coherently address complex systemic issues.
The D&I initiative seeks to respond to the challenges the world faces today by cultivating leaders of sustainable design and innovation who pursue academic excellence while contributing to social development. Our vision is to establish an international benchmark for design education and research that is grounded in China’s economic and societal transition, and also contributes to the design community worldwide.
D&I is now one of the most internationally renowned design schools in China. From 2007 to 2010, Bloomberg’s BUSINESSWEEK listed Tongji Design three times as one of the world’s best D-Schools. In 2011, MONOCLE magazine introduced the Tongji-Aalto Design Factory as one of the highly unique university innovation platforms. In 2013 and 2014, D&I was included in the FRAME Masterclass ranking of the “Top 30 World Leading Master’s Programs in Design.” In 2017, D&I was ranked No.26 globally by QS World University Ranking by subject.
D&I enjoys membership in the International Association of Universities and Colleges of Art, Design and Media (CUMULUS); the World Design Organization (WDO); the International Network of Design for Social Innovation & Sustainability (DESIS); the Fablab Network; and the European Network of Living Labs (ENoLL).
PROGRAMS & FIGURES
D&I has around 700 full-time students (including undergraduates and postgraduates), 60 full-time faculty members, and 30 adjunct or visiting faculty members. More than 50 international students attend D&I every academic year—approximately 20% of the total number of graduate students. Over 60% of D&I’s master’s students gain overseas or exchange student experience. The College focuses on “smart, sustainable design for industrial transformation and future living.” It has 3 undergraduate programs, 9 master programs and a doctoral program in design. D&I developed a 3-D T-shaped educational framework, based on the prevailing undergraduate-master-doctoral degree system, to better explore possible approaches to cultivating design innovation talent.
Industrial Design (B.A., BEng.)
Environmental Design (B.A.)
Media and Communication Design (B.A.)
Advanced Industrial Design (MEng.)
Advanced Environmental Design (MFA)
Advanced Media and Communication Design (MEng.)
Product Service System Design (MFA)
Interaction Design (MEng.)
Design Strategy and Management (MDes)
AI and Data Design (MDes)
Innovation and Entrepreneurship (MEng.)
Design History and Theory (MDes)
PhD in Design