16th ELIA Biennial Conference: Expanding the Arts
November 18-20, 2020 Zurich, Switzerland
Deadline for proposals: January 6, 2020
New ideas, new concepts, the NEW itself most commonly arises at the edges or at the interfaces between traditional disciplines — be it in arts, sciences or in everyday life. It is often this space in between — virtual or physical — where we as academics, artists or creatives can explore the limits of our doing while, at the same time, we can shape and reflect on our practices, and, by exploring its limits, expand the arts.
The ELIA Biennial 2020, hosted by Zurich University of the Arts is dedicated to these edges and interfaces. We want to explore new hinges between the most diverse disciplines in arts, sciences and society, both inside and outside the walls of academies and universities while questioning:
– How can art universities take on an active role in this debate?
– Does transdisciplinarity change the way arts subjects are considered, and curricula are built?
– How can we achieve the same level of quality and critical reflection in one discipline while collaborating across disciplinary boundaries inside and outside the arts?
Representatives of ELIA member insitutions are invited to contribute:
– Projects in teaching and research which are considered to be transdisciplinary or question this concept;
– Initiatives involving students as well as teaching and research staff in innovative ways to promote transdisciplinary collaborations;
– Unfinished projects that address problems in favour of solutions;
– Proposals that are interactive, surprising, involving the audience and are not merely an academic paper presentation.
More information at www.eliabiennial.com
ELIA is a long-term partner of Cumulus.