Call for Cumulus Secretariat V 2021-2025
Deadline for proposals: December 16, 2019
Cumulus is seeking an administrative partner as the host for the Secretariat for its next five (5) year term 1 Jan 2021- 31 Dec 2025, to support the vision and mission of Cumulus as the only global higher education association representing education and research in art, design and media.
Submissions Bids should be addressed to the attention of Dr. Mariana Amatullo, Cumulus President at email@example.com with copy to Cumulus Vice Presidents Philipp Heidekamp firstname.lastname@example.org and Rachel Troye email@example.com.
Cumulus International Association of Universities and Colleges of Art, Design and Media;
Call for Cumulus Secretariat V 2021-2025
The Secretariat Shakes and Stirs from Abstract to Action
Cumulus is seeking an administrative partner as the host for the Secretariat for its next five (5) year term 1 Jan 2021- 31 Dec 2025, to support the vision and mission of Cumulus as the only global higher education association representing education and research in art, design and media. Cumulus is a forum for partnership, sharing of knowledge and practices, which inspires a more sustainable, human centered and creative future. Cumulus has around 300 members from 56 countries representing 800.000 students, over 80.000 academics and thousands of staff members.
What does Cumulus association do?
Cumulus provides the members a broad, friendly, dynamic and flexible international context for dialogue and innovation in education. It supports institutions and individuals (students, faculty academics and staff) in internationalization. Cumulus promotes and empowers the talent of the next generation of creative and responsible professionals advancing sustainability. It facilitates the exchange of research in the fields of art, design and media. Cumulus encourages and stimulates collaboration with industry, professional bodies, civil society and governments to address contemporary and future challenges.
The atmosphere of Cumulus is characterized by friendly transparency and collaboration. Cumulus is an effective communication platform for art, design and media educators, researchers, students and the different partners.
We wish the partner to have focus on professionalism in the running of the operations of the association but at the same time to ensure the friendly and flexible culture of Cumulus. The host of the secretariat is not only to help the Cumulus members and partners but its President and the Cumulus Executive Board members to secure that each stakeholder will find value in being part of the Cumulus Family.
The Host Flag High
Hosting the Cumulus Secretariat, the institution is globally recognized as a high quality and attractive stakeholder in the environment of education and research in the disciplines Cumulus serves. The host also holding Cumulus flag is part of the agenda of the well-networked planet where art, design and media enhance the economic, industrial, social, cultural, and environmental quality of life. The dimension of the values the host gets by maintaining the Secretariat may be intangible but at the same time highly important.
Cumulus – A Network of Excellence and Innovation
In 1990, Cumulus International Association of Universities and Colleges of Art, Design and Media was initiated with the great enthusiasm by the Royal College of Art in London UK and University of Art and Design Helsinki Finland. It brought together in the first phase a group of six prominent art, design and media institutions: Danmarks Designskole Copenhagen, Gerrit Rietveld Academie Amsterdam the Netherlands,
Universität Essen Germany and Universität für Angewandte Kunst in Wien Austria and UIAH Helsinki and RCA. In 1992, Professor Mr Peik Suyling from Gerrit Rietveld Academy invented the name for the small family: Cumulus.
Thursday 22 March 2001 Cumulus transformed its operations to keep the community better together to an association in the Inaugural Meeting in Rotterdam at the Willem de Kooning Academy in the Netherlands. In June 2006 in Nantes France at the L´École Design Nantes Atlantique Cumulus became international association. In its very beginning in the 90´s, Cumulus was a already non-profit network with roughly 40 European university and college members. It has grown over the years and grows to consist of growing global institutional membership in education and research.
The inauguration meeting in 2001, Cumulus decided the 1st period 2001-2006 the Secretariat was placed in the former University of Art and Design Helsinki Finland for the first years. Following this period, the Cumulus General Assembly made the decisions on the placing of the secretariat for the subsequent five-year periods until 2020, at the University of Art and Design Helsinki since 2010 the School of Arts, Design and Architecture of Aalto University in Finland.
Kyoto Design Declaration and Cumulus Green
A turning moment of Cumulus happened in March 2008 in Japan when Cumulus by signing the Kyoto Design Declaration, the members of Cumulus committed to sharing global responsibility for building sustainable, human-centred and creative societies. The Declaration received support e.g. from ICSID (WDO), BEDA, AIGA and EIDD. The Cumulus Green is one of the actions decided by the Cumulus Board as a direct consequence of Kyoto Design Declaration. The aim of Cumulus Green is to stimulate design actions, projects and research leading to a more sustainable society. Through Cumulus Green, Cumulus implements the aims and goals listed in the Kyoto Design Declaration. The establishment of the Cumulus Green award was a commitment of all member institutions towards global responsibility, human centered design methods and solutions, improving quality of life, creating optimism for the future and improving economic, social and cultural benefits for all people around the world. Cumulus Green is an international design award focused on cultivating and leading global cultures, societies and industries towards more ecological and responsible solutions.
Cumulus is endorsed by UNESCO. Cumulus has been successful in creating and maintaining partnerships with an excellent developing portfolio of them e.g. with – ADR Russia, ADI India, AIGA, BEDA, CEAIE, CBDA, CIDA, CILECT, EIDD, ELIA, DINZ, DRS Design Research Society, DESIS Network, ico-D, IASDR, iF Germany, INDEX, IxDA, NASAD, RSA, OAMI/European Union, WDO World Design Organization – to serve the Cumulus members and ensure transfer of knowledge and sharing with the profession and others close or getting closer to the areas Cumulus represent. Cumulus is constantly sought as a partner and it is negotiating and preparing projects, funding applications and partnerships like with Salzburg Global, TISDC Taiwan International Student Design Competition, UN Live, Unicef etc. further to serve Cumulus members also while this call is open.
Some examples of the activities run by Cumulus is to make people to meet, share knowledge and best practices by mobilizing Cumulus members to organize the two annual Cumulus main conferences. The conference agenda is booked until 2020 and extended during this call. The secretariat collaborates annually not only with its members and permanent partners but also with enterprises and industry, public sector and society at its large through e.g. events, projects, courses, competitions, exhibitions etc. Cumulus is present in social media, also publishes; e.g. Cumulus Think Thanks and produces in collaboration with the host conference publications as well as other publications as Cumulus or with its partners.
The Secretariat Shakes and Stirs from Abstract to Action
–The Secretariat is an active catalyst for Cumulus with and within the world.
–The Secretariat works fast-reacting to inspire and bring people together as educators, researchers, students and collaborators in the Cumulus family and around world.
According to the Cumulus Statutes, the Secretariat consists of the Secretary General and other staff.
The Executive Board shall propose to the General Assembly the resolution on the size and the overall responsibilities of the Secretariat, to be approved by the General Assembly. Furthermore, the President, or in his/her absence the Vice-President, shall determine and amend the detailed operating duties of the Secretariat for the relevant period. On the Sole Executive Director/Secretary General, the General Assembly shall appoint as the Sole Executive Director the General Secretary identified by the hosting institution of the Secretariat as by the Statutes. The language of Cumulus is English.
In 2018, the Secretariat consisted of:
– Secretary General (100% of full time as the managing director)
– Coordinator (100 %)
– Other staff, on project basis
The Secretariat occupies at its current host, a total space of 70 m2 consisting of two rooms including a meeting room. The space is equipped with the necessary equipment and furnishing. The Secretariat has access to use any other facilities of the host. The IT, HR, web and technical as well as finance management assistance are served to Cumulus by the host.
The Annual Expenses of the Secretariat
The costs are covered by an annual fee paid by Cumulus association to the host institution covering the Services provided. The amount of the fee is annually defined in relation to the number of annual received membership fees.
At the present moment:
The Secretary General and the Coordinator work for Cumulus full-time. Any other people work may for the Secretariat on project or permanent basis as part-time or full time.
Present annual model finances of the Secretariat
Income 350.000 (membership fees, estimate 280 full + asso 10)
Annual paid fee to the Host institution: 150.000
Duties, Know-How and Operational Capacity of the Secretariat
The Secretariat supports and implements the identity, goals, strategy and energy of the Cumulus association. The Secretariat reports to the Cumulus Executive Board;
The duties of the General Secretariat are defined by the article 10.4 of the Statutes.
More in detail e.g.
–Internal communication in Cumulus: Member information updates and sharing, mobilizing the community in social media, further; the website, Facebook and sources other social media
–External communication of Cumulus: Cumulus e-News, website, social media at its large; member information updates and sharing with partners; active partnership with members and partners, different interest groups and press etc.
–Other visibility: Advocacy including responsibilities on branding, image maintenance and visibility of Cumulus in events, conferences, exhibitions, endorsement, projects etc. (customer relation management, planning and executing of visibility strategy through various media and finding channels); supporting the increase of world knowledge of design and art, including knowledge about the importance of the educations – with special focus on international political institutions, the business community and the civil society
–Conferences, Events: Cumulus conferences (two main conferences annually) and other smaller-scale annual events, seminars and workshops under Cumulus umbrella hosted by Cumulus member institutions, partners or others: Planning and management and support, production start a minimum of two years before the due date; (program development, registration, venues, conditions of realization, website, accommodation, publishing practical details etc.)
–Membership: Organizing and monitoring of the application process, networking and marketing with potential new members, update what is up among the members and informing others in Cumulus and outside. Mobilizing members to be proactive/using Cumulus. Includes Cumulus Working Groups and equivalent.
–Partnership: Bridging partnership by initiating discussion, development, contracting, ensuring reciprocal presence of partners in Cumulus and Cumulus with their actions, projects, events, exhibitions, competitions, joint publications, project management etc. Includes Cumulus Working Groups and equivalent.
–Project work: From idea to project; planning and realizing of proposals under the Cumulus umbrella, funding/applying project applications negotiation of financial conditions, project management and support etc. (e.g. Cumulus partners, EU- and other alike, mobility/development projects, joint exhibitions and workshops, non-Cumulus funded projects etc.)
–Publications (Cumulus Think Thanks, other Cumulus publications or in collaboration with partners etc., coordinating all stages and realization of the publications, distribution issues, finances, publishing etc.)
–Finances and accounting: Management and control of the collection of the membership fees in in a timely fashion, remittance, bookkeeping and financial reporting and budgeting, project finance management, improving the viability and sustainability of Cumulus through external sources;
–President and Vice-Presidents: Daily update on relevant issues/daily decision making
–Cumulus Executive Board: Meetings: organizing, production, management
–Cumulus General Assembly: Organizing and management
–Cumulus Working Groups/any equivalent; Facilitating their operations and communication within Cumulus
–Cumulus and other awards and competitions, exhibitions; Planning, realization, management
–Any other issues.
CONDITIONS FOR THE CUMULUS SECRETARIAT V 2021-2025
“The Secretariat Shakes and Stirs from Abstract to Action.”
To safeguard the work of the Secretariat, Cumulus opened the call as approved in the General Assembly Rovaniemi/19 on 30 May 2019 in Finland for a new candidate to take over the responsibility of the Secretariat from 1 January 2021. The decision of the host of the new Secretariat will be done by the General Assembly in Rome Italy in June 2020 during the Cumulus conference hosted by La Sapienza University. The details of the shift to the new Secretariat are to be agreed separately between it and the past Secretariat 2016-2020 after the General Assembly in June 2020. The new Secretariat 2021-2025 will take care of the first main conference and the General Assembly in 2021.
The hosting institution of the Secretariat provides to its staff with a competent working environment that supports the staff in serving Cumulus, the president and vice-presidents and the Cumulus Executive Board, General Assembly and the partners. The host also guarantees resources like IT, issues related to personnel, technical assistance, finance management etc. to the secretariat. The host may also assist or organize other necessary services for the secretariat or service bought from outside.
1. The host can be any Full Member institution of Cumulus that has had the full membership a minimum of five (5) years.
2. The host must have strong capacity to manage multiculturalism and diversity with a good sense of diplomacy and an excellent level of English as official language
3. The host has to have a strong and long term competence in the internationalization in art, design and media and experience of the education and research of the fields of Cumulus and capacity to internationally collaborate with enterprises and industry and the public sector
4. The host must have deep knowledge of the identity, values and mission of Cumulus, based also on the length of the host’s membership in Cumulus, as well as its consistency in the participation in Cumulus activities
5. The host must have globally recognized partnerships and networks, which support Cumulus
6. The host as an institution must provide internationally renowned and attractive setting to ensure also the qualified secretariat and staff to serve Cumulus.
7. The host has to have competence in the actions in the duties of the secretariat as listed above in the “Duties, Know-How and Operational Capacity of the Secretariat” and be ready to develop new services to the success of Cumulus via its Secretariat
8. The communication language of the Secretariat is English as the official language of Cumulus as in the Statutes.
9. Cumulus will provide the host an annual compensation fee to host the Secretariat. The hosting institution will provide spaces and services in relation to the needs to run the Secretariat in the interest of Cumulus.
More in detail:
Host has to be ready to offer for the Secretariat considering its potential growth in number of staff;
a. Facilities etc.; office, equipment, furniture in proper context within the campus
b. HR, healthcare etc. necessary services
c. Other services: e.g. bookkeeping, IT, web and technical services etc. as defined by the Service agreement that will be signed btw. the Cumulus Association ant the host (that will follow the call and further the model as the current Service agreement signed by Cumulus association and Aalto University)
d. Regarding the finances, the host provides the secretariat separate account (cost & income item) for the good running of the association.
10. Cumulus will cover any management fee of the General Secretary; traveling of the Secretariat. Cumulus has the right to recruit any other staff for the project or permanent basis part time or full time. The host is ready to offer project based additional staff for free, Cumulus may be ready to offer some compensation to the host to organize other additional resources to Cumulus on project basis, conditions negotiated case by case with the President and the Board.
11. As stated in Cumulus Statutes, article 9.3, the General Assembly decides on the member that will host the Secretariat and decides the appointment and removal of the Secretary General (Sole Executive Director). The host may propose in the application a candidate for the Secretary General.
12.The application as such is a service agreement between Cumulus International Association of Universities and Colleges of Art, Design and Media and the host institution of the capacity to host the secretariat for the period of the Cumulus Secretariat V 2021-2025. A further detailed agreement will be negotiated and signed based on the this call and the present model.
13. The bid is binding.
Bid for the Cumulus Secretariat VI 2021-2025
Approval of the General Assembly
- The Cumulus Executive Board check
The board will go through the host candidates in its first meeting in 2020 and validate the them for the approval of the Cumulus General Assembly in June 2020. The board may take the right to update the applications or ask for any further relevant data not mentioned in this call. The board will do its evaluation based on the information as given in the proposal and as listed below and as it may further request.
- Information about the candidates
The list of the candidates will be distributed to Cumulus member institutions after the first Cumulus Executive Board meeting in 2020. The information about the candidates will be available on the Cumulus website, and Cumulus members are invited to contact them personally.
- The Cumulus General Assembly makes the decision
The General Assembly to be held in June 2020 decides the host institution of the Secretariat. An election may occur.
If an election is held among several candidates, the voting guidelines are as below. The Cumulus Executive Board may take the right to adjust the voting guidelines before the General Assembly in June 2020. If so, they will be approved before the voting will be started in this General Assembly:
– Each candidate has the possibility to advertise during the June 2020 Cumulus conference and before. All the candidates will also have the opportunity to reach the voters during any Election
Kick-off event before the General Assembly but during the June 2020 conference.
– Only one authorized person from each full member institution can vote and have maximum of two proxies representing another full member. The person with the proxy/ies can fill in max three (3) election forms. The proxy has been confirmed in writing by e-mail or fax/letter to the secretariat to whom/from whom.
– An authorized person (representative or with a proxy) can only vote from the existing list of candidates
– The new full Cumulus members in this General Assembly have the right to vote.
– In order to make also the new Cumulus members fully aware of the potential hosts, there will be a max 5 minute oral presentation, of each potential host for the Secretariat. The chairman of this GA controls the time used. The host will need to answer any questions made by the GA delegates.
– Every candidate has a number. The voting ballot asks the number of and name of the candidate. In the voting ballot, the institution´s name is decisive even if all candidates are numbered by the voter when voting. If there is a wrong name or any other equivalent mistake, the ballot is dismissed
– The potential host is the one that gets more than 50% of the valid votes. In case none of the candidates receive more than 50% of the votes, a voting ballot among the first two candidates is put in place. After the second round the candidate that gets most votes will win.
– In case there will be two or several candidates with the same number of votes, the winner will be the one that has the higher number of years of full Cumulus membership. If not, a lottery is organized.
– Calculation of the votes: The votes will be calculated by counters of the votes endorsed in the
beginning of the General Assembly in June 2020 and assisted by the Cumulus Secretariat staff. The calculation will be supervised by the June 2020 conference host institution, La Sapienza University of this general assembly; the person as the supervisor is announced before the voting will start at this General Assembly.
– Announcement of the results of the Cumulus Secretariat V 2021-2025; The results of the elections will be announced at the latest in the evening of the day of the General Assembly.
The bid must include the following information and respect the conditions as above for the Cumulus Secretariat:
1. The bid is in international English.
2. It must include an endorsement as on the logo letter of the institution and signed by the authorized person of the member institution (Dean, Rector, Vice-Rector etc.) that the member institution is ready to take over the responsibilities of the Secretariat in full scale according to the Cumulus needs as described in this call of the Cumulus Secretariat V for its period of 2020-2025 after the approval made by the Cumulus General Assembly in June 2020 in Rome in Italy.
3. The host is to define the year the Cumulus Full membership has been endorsed to it by the Cumulus General Assembly or before it by 1990.
4. The host has to verify its financial commitment to Cumulus in the form of the membership fee unbreakably on regular basis.
5. The institution making a bid for this 5th term of the Secretariat has to clearly define its financial situation and its linkage to the hosting of the Cumulus secretariat. The host has to submit a declaration of legal and financial responsibility about its bookkeeping, tax, project finance management, budgeting (a format may be provided). The candidate is to show its annual Balance Sheet Book and Income Statement and Balance Sheet (in English) as university or school/faculty basis of the past two years, 2018 and 2019.
6. The bid gives a clear picture of the capacity and competence of the applying institution with any relevant annexes and answering to these issues:
a. To show the capacity and how to manage multiculturalism and diversity with a good sense of diplomacy.
b. To show its strong and long term competence in the internationalization in art, design and media and its experience of the education and research of the fields of Cumulus. It also shows its capacity to collaborate with enterprises and industry and the public sector on international spectrum.
c. To show its knowledge of the identity of the values and mission of Cumulus based also based on the length of its membership in Cumulus as well as its long term consistency in the participation in Cumulus activities.
d. To verify its globally recognized partnerships and networks, the institution as a member or coordinator.
e. To show how the host as an institution will provide internationally renowned and attractive setting to ensure also the qualified secretariat and staff to serve Cumulus.
7. The host has to have competence in the actions in the duties of the secretariat as listed above in the “Duties, Know-How and Operational Capacity of the Secretariat”
8. To show how the host can ensure the use of the communication language of the Secretariat is English as the official language of Cumulus is according to the Statutes of Cumulus.
9. The host to show how it is ready to offer for the Secretariat considering its potential growth in number of staff:
a. Facilities etc.; office, equipment, furniture in proper context within the campus.
b. HR, healthcare etc. necessary services.
c. Other services: e.g. bookkeeping, IT, web and technical services etc.
10. Recommendation letters;
The applying institution must show a minimum of twenty (20) recommendation letters from the
Cumulus full member institutions, maximum three (3) can come from the home country of the applicant.
Deadline for proposals: December 16, 2019.
For further questions about the bid including any technical queries, candidates should email Cumulus President Mariana Amatullo firstname.lastname@example.org and vice-presidents Rachel Troye email@example.com and Philip Heidkamp firstname.lastname@example.org.