Cumulus PLUS+ Call for Participants to Cumulus Kolding conference, REDO, in Denmark 30 May – 2 June 2017
Cumulus is seeking for academics and staff working in colleges and universities in art, design and media in higher education from different parts of the world and countries less familiar to Cumulusians to come and join our conference in Kolding, Denmark in May 2017!
Three grants offered!
EXTENDED DEADLINE: Apply by March 17, 2017
How do we REDO our design education, our design practice, and our design research so that our knowledge comes to have an actual effect on how we live, from the micro level of the domestic to the macro level of politics? How do we train our students to become DOers and to confront the challenges that face the world in terms of social inclusion, climate/environment, and economic growth? How do we impact our disciplines and beyond?
The REDO biannual Cumulus 2017 conference in Kolding Denmark hosted by Design School Kolding aims to playfully inspire, challenge and develop the role, relevance and scope of design, art and media in a global world with sustainability for people, planet and profit in mind. The overall aim of the conference is to create lasting impact in design and design education and initiate (future) actions.
The aim is to create the opportunity for friendship between people and generate partnership and exchange of knowledge between the different institutions.
We try to mobilize people from different part of the world where there is not enough individual and institutional linkages with Cumulus members. Cumulus can mobilize three (3) candidates with the grant of max 1.500, – € /per person to come over to this conference under the Cumulus umbrella in the end of May 2017.
The candidates sought are
1. to work on a permanent basis in an academic position or being a staff member in a college or (educating minimum at the BA, bachelor level) or a university in different disciplines of art, design and media.
2. joining this conference from a country or region that may not have any as a member in Cumulus, please see the website www.cumulusassociation.org for further information.
3. a candidate coming from a country or region where there is only a small number of members in Cumulus or coming from a new region in that country are also welcomed to apply.
4. showing in the letter of the motivation also the personal as well as any institutional commitment to the internationalization of higher education and research in art, design and media and capacity of establishing a permanent bridge between Cumulus, the individual and the home institution of the applicant. We also welcome any other reasoning.
The Cumulus Plus+sians are invited to present themselves during the conference as agreed separately with the Cumulus secretariat. This can be a short welcome with the Cumulus President Luisa Collina in the opening of the conference and closing, a presentation e.g. in any of the Cumulus Working Groups during the conference if organized or equivalent sessions, or a stand “Meet the Cumulus Plus+:sians” during the conference etc. The grant holders are welcomed also to propose depending on the conference programme and its operations. Also if possible, to bring material of the home institution for people being interested.
Each grant holder will organize the traveling and hotel booking themselves, preference to stay is among the conference hotels. Registration to the conference will be done by the Cumulus secretariat. Contribution to the conference, please see as above and communicate with the secretariat. The hosting university Design School Kolding will give invitations for the visa.
After Conference Life
The grant holders are to write a report in English and give visual material to be published in the Cumulus website and/or Facebook or in any other media, details tbc. We highly value keeping in contact with the Cumulus Plus+sians after the conference. Let us talk when meeting!
Each grant holder will invoice the costs with the receipts of the flight, hotel etc. from the Cumulus secretariat after the event as guided by the secretariat and the costs are to be paid to the bank account of the home university or the grant holder after the conference.
How to apply? The application to be done in English,
sent by e-mail with the subject title “Cumulus PLUS+ Kolding”
Contact information, status/position, and address of the home institution, email, telephone/fax, skype-id, and website.
1. Letter of motivation
2. Curriculum vitae
3. Photo; the applicant when applying is giving the right to Cumulus to publish the photo and information of the selected applicant in the media of Cumulus for networking purposes or equivalent.
4. Institutional endorsement by the home institution why to give the grant to the applicant and at the same time showing the institutional guarantee for the rest of the funding for the travel is available by the home institution of the applicant. The endorsement can be an email from the home institution or a letter.
5. If there are any linkages with the existing members or partners of Cumulus, it is positive the applicant to organize a support letter (e-mail etc.) being included in the application material.
Where to send?
Deadline: Friday 17th February 2017
All documents by email to the Cumulus Secretariat to:
Mrs Justyna Molik justyna.molik(at)aalto.fi