Cumulus PLUS+ Travel grants offered for joining the Cumulus Conference Roma 2020
Three grants offered!
Application deadline till March 20, 2020
Cumulus is seeking for academics and staff working in colleges and universities in art, design and media in higher education from different parts of the world and countries less familiar to Cumulusians to come and join our conference in Rome, Italy in June 2020!
Read more about the conference:
Cumulus conference Roma 2020: Design Culture(s)
June 16 -19, 2020 Rome, Italy
Hosted by Sapienza University of Rome, Faculty of Architecture and School of Industrial Design
The conference website https://cumulusroma2020.org/
CULTURE (OF) ARTIFICIAL _ DIGITAL | TECHNOLOGY | ROBOTICS
CULTURE (OF) LANGUAGES _ AESTHETICS | EXPRESSION | VISUAL
CULTURE (OF) LIFE _ NATURE | BIOLOGY | HUMAN
CULTURE (OF) MAKING _ PROCESS | MANUFACTURING | POST-INDUSTRY
CULTURE (OF) MULTIPLICITY _ GENDER | PLURALISM | DIVERSITY
CULTURE (OF) PROXIMITY _ PLACES | PEOPLE | ECONOMY
CULTURE (OF) RESILIENCE _ SOCIAL INNOVATION | CIRCULAR ECONOMY | SUSTAINABILITY
CULTURE (OF) REVOLUTION _ CRITICAL THINKING | DISRUPTION | CHANGE
CULTURE (OF) THINKING _ THEORY | HISTORY | CRITICS
The conference will take place at Sapienza University of Rome, Faculty of Architecture. Sapienza University of Rome was founded in 1303 by Pope Boniface VIII and it is one of the oldest universities in the world. At the moment, Sapienza is hosting about 115,000 students and 4.000 professors and researchers, and it is a top performer in international university rankings, thanks to the 63 Departments organized in 11 Faculties driving high levels of excellence in several fields.
The Degrees of Design are part of the Faculty of Architecture, which was founded in 1920 and it happens to be the first modern Faculty of Architecture in Italy. At the core of its mission is the commitment to innovation, technology, urban living, while serving a fast changing society.
Cumulus PLUS+ programme
The aim is to create the opportunity for friendship between people and generate partnership and exchange of knowledge between the different institutions.
We try to mobilize people from different parts of the world where there is not enough individual and institutional linkages with Cumulus members. Cumulus can mobilize three (3) candidates with the grant of max 1.500, – € /per person to come over to this conference under the Cumulus umbrella in June 2020.
The candidates sought after should:
1. work on a permanent basis in an academic position or being a staff member in a college or (educating minimum at the BA, bachelor level) or a university in different disciplines of art, design and media. (Please note that you cannot represent a MEMBER institution of Cumulus!)
2. represent a country or region that may have no members in Cumulus, please see the website www.cumulusassociation.org for further information.
3. represent a country or region where there is only a small number of members in Cumulus or coming from a new region in that country.
4. show in the letter of the motivation personal as well as institutional commitment to the internationalization of higher education and research in art, design and media and capacity of establishing a permanent bridge between Cumulus, the individual and the home institution of the applicant. We also welcome any other reasoning.
The Cumulus Plus’ians are invited to present themselves during the conference as agreed separately with the Cumulus secretariat. This can be a short welcome with the Cumulus President in the opening of the conference and/or closing, a presentation e.g. in any of the Cumulus Working Groups during the conference, if organized or equivalent sessions, or a stand “Meet the Cumulus Plus’ians” during the conference etc. The grant holders are welcome also to propose any other involvement in the conference programme. Also if possible, to bring material of the home institution for sharing.
Each grant holder will organize the traveling and hotel booking themselves, preferably they should stay at the conference hotels. Registration to the conference will be done by the Cumulus secretariat. Contribution to the conference, please see as above and communicate with the secretariat. The hosting organisation Sapienza University of Rome will give invitation for the visa (please book enough time for the visa application. The registration is being done after the program agreement is signed and participation confirmed by the grantee. Please be aware of all visa requirements for your country and for the travel to be organized by you, especially transit flights/travels).
After Conference Life
The grant holders are to write a report in English and give visual materials to be published in the Cumulus website and/or Facebook or in any other media, details tbc. We highly value staying in contact with the Cumulus Plus’ians after the conference. Let us talk when we meet!
Each grant holder will invoice the costs with the receipts of the flight, hotel etc. from the Cumulus secretariat after the event as guided by the secretariat and the costs are to be paid to the bank account of the home university or the grant holder after the conference. (Please note that refunds in cash are not possible; please check if you are able to receive an international transfer to your bank account.)
How to apply?
The application to be written in English, sent by e-mail with the subject title “Cumulus PLUS+ Bogota”
Please provide you contact information, status/position, and address of the home institution, email, telephone/fax, skype-id, and website.
1. Letter of motivation
2. Curriculum vitae
3. Photo; the applicant when applying is giving Cumulus the rights to publish their image and information of the selected applicants in the media of Cumulus for networking purposes or equivalent.
4. Institutional endorsement by the home institution of the applicant. It should explain why the grant should be given to the applicant and at the same time it should be an institutional guaranty that the rest of the funding for the travel is available from the home institution of the applicant. The endorsement can be an email from the home institution or a letter.
5. If there are any linkages with the existing members or partners of Cumulus, the applicant is welcome to organize a support letter (e-mail etc.) to include in the application materials.
Cumulus keeps the right to reduce the number of grants admitted or to withdraw from granting any for a specific call.
Where to send?
Deadline for application: March 20, 2020
All documents by email to the Cumulus Secretariat to:
Mrs Justyna Molik justyna.molik(at)aalto.fi
#cumulusplus #cumulusgrants #cumulusroma2020