Faculty Positions for the 2020-2021 Academic Year, VCUarts Qatar
VCUarts Qatar is the international branch campus of Virginia Commonwealth University’s School of the Arts (VCUarts). Located in Richmond, Virginia, VCUarts (www.arts.vcu.edu) is the top-ranked public art school in the U.S. VCUarts Qatar was established in 1998 through a partnership with the Qatar Foundation and offers students the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in fashion design, graphic design, interior design and painting & printmaking; a Bachelor of Arts degree in art history; and a Master of Fine Arts degree in design. Located in Doha, the capital city of Qatar, VCUarts Qatar is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art & Design, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Council for Interior Design Accreditation. The current student body represents a diverse range of nationalities with students coming from 38 countries.
VCUarts Qatar is dedicated to global outreach and education and provides students with an environment for cross-cultural exchange that fosters inquiry, discovery and innovation. Examples of this mission are the two significant international conferences hosted by VCUarts Qatar—the biennial design conference, Tasmeem and the biennial Hamad bin Khalifa Symposium on Islamic Art. VCUarts Qatar attracts globally recognized designers, artists and scholars while fostering partnerships within the region, and beyond, that enhance the educational, economic and cultural vitality of Qatar. Having established itself as a center of excellence for education and research, VCUarts Qatar has substantial involvement with the influential art and design world of the Middle East, and is a catalyst for the growth and development of these fields in the region.
VCUarts Qatar has 154 full-time faculty and staff and a student body of 324. VCUarts Qatar was the first campus established in Education City, a unique 2500-acre multiversity campus. VCUarts Qatar was joined by Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service, Carnegie-Mellon University, Texas A&M University, Weill Cornell Medical College, Northwestern University, HEC Paris and University College of London.
Qatar, with English as the standard second language, is a progressive country in the Arabian Gulf and remains one of the healthiest economies in the Gulf region. Doha offers all the conveniences found in a contemporary and cosmopolitan city, while honoring a rich tradition that is evident in the old markets and the city’s Islamic Arab architecture. The National Museum of Qatar, designed by Jean Nouvel, opened in March 2019 while the Museum of Islamic Art, designed by I.M.Pei opened in November 2008 and the Arab Museum of Modern Art (Mathaf) opened in 2010. The U.S. Embassy considers Qatar among the safest countries in the world for Americans.
Collaboration-minded innovators who are committed to working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student body at VCUarts Qatar and who have qualifications, experience, and demonstrated strengths across their area(s) of expertise are invited to apply for the following positions:
Head of Innovative Media Studios
• 12-month Assistant Professor. Non-tenure eligible. Master’s degree in art/design/interactive media and demonstratable, relevant technical experience in time-based media, virtual reality, augmented reality and/or physical computing.
• 9-month Assistant Professor in Art History with a specialization in the arts of the ancient world. Non-tenure eligible. PhD in Art History or a related field required.
• Department Chair – 12-month, non-tenure track position with an open rank. MFA in Graphic Design or a terminal degree in a related discipline is required.
• 9-month term (non-tenure eligible) position. Master’s degree preferred or professional, high-level fashion industry experience and training which equates to a graduate degree is required.
MFA in Design Program
• 9-month Assistant Professor. Non-tenure eligible. Terminal degree (PhD, MFA, Marc, or equivalent) in the arts, design, or related disciplines is required.
Art Foundation Program
• 9-month term (non-tenure eligible) position. MFA or terminal degree, or training and professional experience that equates to an MFA in the arts, design, or related discipline required.
Associate Dean for Research and Development
• 12-month non-tenure eligible Assistant or Associate Professor. Non-tenure eligible. Terminal degree (PhD, MFA, or equivalent) in the arts, design, or related disciplines required.
To apply, please submit application materials via VCU eJobs at www.vcujobs.com. Only electronic applications submitted via eJobs will be accepted.
Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to providing accessible and equitable living, learning and working environments free from discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or disability.