CEDAT aspires 'to undertake high quality research relevant to the region's and global development needs and consequently produce highly qualified graduates with specialised skills but equipped with holistic knowledge, as well as professional services and innovation for sustainable national and regional development.
Makerere University has been and continues to be at the forefront of knowledge generation and dissemination through Research and Innovations and Knowledge Technology Transfer and Partnership (KTTP). Investments have been made to build the human resource capacity needed for advancement within a knowledge-based economy. Some of the initiatives for research capacity development have been through collaborative research support for Masters, Doctoral and post-doctoral training and creation of Centres of Excellence.
CEDAT College is the hub of design and technology innovations in the region, and has thus easily attracted local and international partnerships. CEDAT recognizes the role of internationalization in the transformation of a 21st century university. CEDAT thus had operationalised MOUs with over 20 Universities across the globe including USA, UK, Finland, Sweden, Netherlands, South Africa, China, Kenya, Tanzania among others.
As a premier University, Makerere University has influenced research and policy directions in the region. Over the past 10 years, the College of Engineering, Art, Design and Technology has institutionalized research and innovation in her programmes. Many under-graduate students have produced very interesting prototypes of machines and implements, while PhD students and senior researchers have made innovations with the potential for transformation of societies, especially the rural communities.
The projects developed at Makerere University highlight the potential of triggering an innovation process to propel Uganda into a real knowledge economy and the industrial world. These target human resource development, research to increase production, transfer of technologies between Higher Education Institutions and communities, increased relevance and knowledge generation, as well as cultural conservation and restoration.
CEDAT is well grounded in all disciplines both at undergraduate and graduate level with 11 undergraduate academic programmes and 12 graduate programmes at Masters, and each of the programmes has a PhD strand. The thrust has been on training of a highly skilled and professional human resource to address the research and development gaps in art, design, technology and infrastructure industry. Hence the main focus until recently has been on Bachelors and Masters level. However, the strategic direction of Makerere University, CEDAT inclusive is to become a research-led institution of Higher Learning, and a thought leader in graduate training in the region and beyond.
faculties and departments
The Makerere College of Engineering Design Art and Technology is comprised of 3 Schools, 9 Deparments, 4 Centers and 1 Institute as follows:
The Margaret School of Industrial & Fine Arts (MTSIFA) with three Departments: Department of Fine Art; Department of Industrial Arts & Applied Design; Department of Visual Communication Design & Multimedia.
School of the Built Environment (SBE) which also three Departments: Department of Architecture & Pysical Planning; Department of Geomatics & Land Management; Department of Construction Economics & Management.
School of Engineering (SOE) having three Departments: Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering; Department of Mechanical Engineering; Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering.
Institute of Heritage Conservation & Restoration that focuses on the cultural research and exhibitions
bachelor level programs
1. Bachelor of Industrial & Fine Arts - Three Year Programme
2. Bachelor of Architecture - Five Year Programme
3. Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning - Four Year Programme
4. BSc. Land Surveying and Geomatics - Four Year Programme
5. BSc. Construction Management - Four Year Programme
6. BSc. Land Economics - Four Year Programme
7. BSc. Quantity Surveying - Four Year Programme
8. BSc. Civil Engineering - Four Year Programme
9. BSc. Mechanical Engineering - Four Year Programme
10. BSc. Electrical Engineering - Four Year Programme
11. BSc. Telecommunication Engineering - Four Year Programme
12. BSc. Computer Engineering - Four Year Programme
master level programs
1. M. A in Fine Art - Two Year Programme
2. Master of Architecture - Two Year Programme
3. Master of Urban Planning & Design - Two Year Programme
4. MSc. in Geo-Information Science and Technology - Two Year Programme
5. MSc. in Construction Management - Two Year Programme
6. MSc. in Civil Engineering - Two Year Programme
7. MSc. in Mechanical Engineering - Two Year Programme
8. MSc. in Technology Innovation and Industrial Development - Two Year Programme
9. MSc. in Power Systems Engineering - Two Year Programme
10. MSc. in Renewable Energy - Two Year Programme
11. MSc. Telecommunication Engineering - Two Year Programme
12. Postgraduate Diploma in Urban Planning and Design
13. Postgraduate Diploma in Construction Project Management
research activity and main areas
Like Makerere Univeristy in general, and CEDAT is a research-led college that is committed to enhancing knowledge creation and promoting generation of cutting-edge innovations STEAM (Science, Engineering, Arts amd Mathmatics). We encourage a multi-disciplinary research approach that propagates project/problem based learning. Within the field of Art and Design, sudents have knowledge base in theory and practice. Areas of art and craft practice range from painting, sculpture, jewellery design, fashion and textile design, photography, visual communication and advertising design, product design and 3D- Design Digital rendition. Graduate research (by theory and practice) covers: Material explorations in craft research; culture and symbolism; art and governance, art and social change, Disability studies through the arts; Historical cultural practices and theories of continuity and change; art, gender and HIV, art and play; among others.
doctorate level programs
A Degree of Doctor of Philosophy is offered in all the above discipline areas. The duration ranges from 3-5 years.
subject areas for exchange students
Art and Design
Civil and Mechanical Engineering
The admissions for exchange (international) students are usually considered in the period between December - March for students intending to join in August.
Makerere University uses English as the official language of instruction.
Semester One - Agust - December
Semester Two - January - May
Recess Term - June - August
cost of living per month (studying and living)
Approximately 350 Euros per month