Vacancy: Doctoral student in Design with specialization in Fashion Design
The University of Borås, Sweden
Apply by November 15, 2015!
Research in fashion design at the school has its focus on foundational research in fashion design such as design methods, construction technique, fashion interaction design, per formative aspects of garments and formal body-dress-space relationships. The doctoral student must dedicate at least 80% of his or her time to research and thesis work.
Ref: PA 2015/207
As part of the University of Borås The Swedish School of Textiles provides skills for the textile and fashion sector through education at first, second and third cycle levels, through scientific and artistic research and through close cooperation with the industry within fashion and textile design and within textile technology, economics and management. The Swedish School of Textiles operations have experienced strong growth and extensive research within textile and fashion design, textile and material technology and textile management. The University of Borås is at present the coordinator of a Marie Sklodowska Curie training network for PhD students connecting the fields of textiles and fashion design, architecture and interaction design. The Swedish School of Textiles is among the few institutions of higher education in the world that within its facilities has a full-scale textile-manufacturing environment gathering both advanced studies and doctoral studies in the development of the artistic grounds. The research conducted by the Swedish School of Textiles in the field of Fashion Design focuses on practice-based design research specializing in the development of methodology for professional/experimental design of clothing and fashion. The vacant position is part of the University’s strategy to strengthen practice-based research in the field of textile design and it focuses in particular on the development of methodological and design aesthetic foundations of the field. Research is conducted in close collaboration with national and international research groups. The position will provide excellent opportunities for specialization within a very topical area of research.
Research in fashion design at the school has its focus on foundational research in fashion design such as design methods, construction technique, fashion interaction design, per formative aspects of garments and formal body-dress-space relationships.
The doctoral student must dedicate at least 80% of his or her time to research and thesis work. The remaining 20% involves participation in departmental duties comprising teaching at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels in the relevant courses, the supervision of degree projects, participation in external projects and assignments and/or administration. Doctoral students are employed under Chapter 5 of the Swedish Higher Education Ordinance. The programme is equivalent to a maximum of four years’ full-time study. The initial employment period is for one year and usually renewed in one-year increments. If departmental duties are included, the research programme will be extended to a maximum of five years.
Master Degree in Fashion Design or equivalent, and good knowledge of English, both in speech and writing. For admission to the research programme the applicant’s ability to benefit from research education in the field is assessed and you will furthermore be judged upon your potential to participate in the development of the artistic research environment at the University of Borås and your interest in taking part in the overall frame of the research programme in Body Dress Space.
Information about the post is available from Professor Clemens Thornquist, firstname.lastname@example.org, +46 730 490023 or Head of Department of Design, Olof Harbecke, +46 33 435 42 01 The union representatives for Saco-S and ST can be reached via the university switchboard on +46 33-435 40 00.
Type of Employment: Fixed term doctoral student position as per the Swedish Higher Education Ordinance Employment
Hours: Full time
Duties commence: As soon as possible
Ref: PA 2015/207
The following documents must be attached to your application:
1. Personal letter
2. CV with reference details
4. Master’s Thesis
5. Certificates/qualifications and other such documents you wish to refer to
No supplementary information may be submitted digitally after the final application date.
Please submit your application no later than 15/11/2015
According to regulations in force at the National Archives of Sweden, we must archive application documents excluding publications for two years after a final appointment decision.
We will reject approaches from advertisers and employment agencies regarding this recruitment.