What’s on: cultural diversity, social engagement, shifting education
May 8 – 10, 2014 Aveiro, Portugal
Hosted by the University of Aveiro
The conference sought to bring designers, artists, musicians, theory-based researchers and educators together, in order to develop interdisciplinary discussions.
The 2014 Cumulus Spring conference theme was “What’s on: cultural diversity, social engagement and shifting education”, aiming to unite theory and practice through discussions of ways in which design, art, music and digital media are contributing or could contribute in an era of global challenges, characterized by uncertainty, ambiguity and complexity.
The conference was held at the Department of Communication and Art of University of Aveiro, a multidisciplinary department comprising the areas of Design, Art Studies, Digital Media and Music.
The conference sought to bring designers, artists, musicians, theory-based researchers and educators together, in order to develop interdisciplinary discussions on the proposed theme.
Contributors were invited to submit research papers and projects that address contemporary approaches to the 3 main tracks:
1) What’s on in cultural diversity:
– Old urban versus new rural realities
– Future cultural heritage
– Contemporary antagonisms (local/global, analogous/digital, hi-tech/low-tech, craft/industrial, convergences/divergences, etc.)
– Inter/ Trans/ Multidisciplinary approaches
2) What’s on in social engagement:
– socially-driven approaches
– community action
– social empowerment
– responsible citizenship
– economics for the people
3) what’s on in shifting education:
– education for future generations
– beyond lifelong learning experiences
– new media for new education
– customised learning environments and self regulated learning
– transdisciplinary educational approaches
– open educational resources
All submitted papers wiere subject to a double-blind peer-review process.
The conference consisted of keynote talks, paper presentations and an exhibition of projects and posters. The New Members Fair and Cumulus Working Groups and Workshops were also hosted during the conference.
The keynote speakers for the conference were professor Josephine Green and Dr Adriano Duarte Rodrigues.